Help On Finding Words Or Phrases In Dead Songs
There are a few key points:
- the search should find lyrics from all songs sung by the Grateful Dead plus some other Hunter and Barlow songs.
It will find the titles of other songs sung by the Jerry Garcia Band, Ratdog, Phil & Friends etc, but not yet the full lyrics most of those songs (though I plan gradually to extend the search to cover them).
- it can be pretty picky over spelling and on getting phrases exactly right - though I am working on that.
But the tip is to try searching for individual words that you know are in the line you're looking for - but don't choose very common ones such as "that" or "the".
- If you are searching for a single word, you can add a '*' onto the end to find all words starting like that--so 'shoe*' finds 'shoes', and 'plan*' finds 'plans' and 'planned' (but also 'planet' and 'plantation').
- Within each song, I have edited out of the index any words that occur very frequently in that song.
So, for example, a search for "Althea" finds only the first few occurences.
It is easy enough to go to the full text of the lyrics to find other occurences.
- I have tried to include variants to the original lyrics (eg to Black Throated Wind) that have been performed.
More difficult is where the Dead sang lyrics for a cover version that were different from the original.
I have normally included in the index only what the Dead actually sang, though I am aware I haven't been wholly consistent.
At the same time, I have tried to include the 'original' lyrics in the full texts of the songs.
Find Song lyrics|